In this section we are providing a summary of the current changes in the Situation Report. For a PDF of the full Situation Report click on the link to the right.
Current Virus Statistics:
Vashon Island COVID-19 Case Count as of 6/2/20
- 4 confirmed positive cases, 0 change since last Situation Report yesterday
- Date of last positive test: April 13
- 0 Vashon deaths
King County COVID-19 Case Count as of 6/2/20:
- 8,235 confirmed positive cases, 50 new since last Situation Report yesterday
- 560 deaths, 3 new since last Situation Report on Friday
Washington State COVID-19 Case Count as of 5/31/20:
- 21,977 confirmed positive cases, 275 new since last Situation Report yesterday
- 1124 deaths, 6 new since last Situation Report yesterday
NOTE: Federal law prohibits Public Health - Seattle & King County from releasing the names of patients (HIPAA Act). Public health experts say we should all assume the virus may be in our community and continue safe distancing and hand washing.
Health Tip of the Day:
- Reduce the spread of COVID-19 if you attend a protest. While outdoor gatherings are lower risk than indoor gatherings, the larger the gathering, and the longer you attend, the higher the risk. While attending a protest wear cloth face covering, maintain social distancing, avoid touching things and carry sanitizer. After the gathering monitor your health for 14 days. If you have symptoms, avoid contact with others and get tested right away. For more information visit https://publichealthinsider.com/2020/06/01/answering-questions-about-protests-and-covid-19/ (6/2/20)
New Developments since Last Report:
- Vashon COVID-19 Testing program has moved. Vashon Medical Reserve Corps with the assistance of the Citizens Emergency Response Team (CERT) and the EOC Logistics Team will now run the testing program from the O Space west parking lot, weekday afternoons from 3 to 4 pm. If you need an appointment call (844) 469-4554 M-F 9am-6pm. Testing is still available the same-day for free. VashonBePrepared is covering costs for those without insurance
- Granny’s Attic had a limited opening this past weekend. Shopping is online only at vashon-grannys-attic.myshopify.com and you can buy products that can be picked up from 12 to 5pm on the next Granny’s business day. A limited donation capacity is in place asking that people only bring 2 shopping bags or similar sized boxes of donations at a time. Attendants will receive your donations outside the building. Donors are required to wear a mask and maintain social distancing of six feet or more. For more information visit http://grannysattic.org
- Reuters published an analysis on social distancing using state-level COVID-19 incidence data to evaluate epidemic trends. The analysis found that 20 states reported increased weekly incidence (for May 18-24) over the previous week, compared to 13 states identified last week. Washington State has reported a significant decline in cases extending over a seven week period. The analysis found that US COVID-19 incidence is actually holding relatively steady or potentially increasing slightly at the national level. Full report at https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/USA-TRENDS/dgkvlgkrkpb/index.html
- Emergency Operations Center (EOC): This is Day 82 since EOC activation on March 12. To date, our volunteers have worked more than 8,800 hours since activation and 46 volunteers reported 485 hours in the last week ending Sunday night.
- Business Support Branch: The Branch continues to monitor reopening status as King County applies for a modified Phase 1 designation. The County Executive today filed application to the State for what’s sometimes called Phase 1.5, which would allow some business categories and other activities to reopen in a limited manner. The Chamber of Commerce business reopening workshops continue this week. So far, more than 60 business operators have attended one of the workshops and thus qualified for a free toolkit of essentials for reopening, including masks and signage with an option for sneeze shields that some businesses will require for reopening. Business operators can sign up for a workshop at: https://www.vashonchamber.com/re-opening-round-tables/
- Unemployed Worker Support Branch: The Branch has so far conducted more than 370 consultations with workers, helping them apply for unemployment benefits. To date, 1,345 Vashon residents have applied for unemployment benefits, about 25% of the island's workers.
- Medical Support Branch: The COVID-19 testing team reopened the test site at O Space this afternoon.
- Community Engagement Branch: A community needs assessment survey has been launched and is now in wide distribution on the island. The survey will help the Emergency Operations Center assess progress so far and identify needs going forward, in addition to evaluating which public communications channels are most fruitful.